Photo of Chapin Hall, home of the Cali School of Music
News

Opening Night Party for Nora Chipaumire’s “Portrait of Myself as My Father” at Alexander Kasser Theatre

Posted in: Department of Theatre and Dance News

Choreographer Nora Chipaumire in her film "Afro Promo #1: Kinglady" made for Dance for Film on Location at Montclair State University.

The visionary and groundbreaking opening night of choreographer Nora Chipaumire’s Portrait of Myself as My Father on April 14th at the Alexander Kasser Theatre will have a dynamic celebration following the performance. Continuing the celebration of innovative dance, enjoy delicious eats and dancing in the Kasser lobby beginning at 8:30pm immediately after the performance, where DJ Rupture will spin a set of contemporary African electronic music in celebratory mode. The after party is co-sponsored by the Native African Students Organization.

A bass visionary from New York, DJ Rupture is known for adventurous sets that integrate music from the global South into the latest developments in club culture. Rupture has collaborated with Norah Jones, the Barcelona Symphony Orchestra, filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer, and guitarist Andy Moor (The Ex), and has released several critically-acclaimed albums since his 2001 debut, Gold Teeth Thief, which VIBE Magazine described as “a “stunning, globe-trotting, three-turntable mix… bumping, brash, and without borders.” He writes and gives talks on contemporary culture under his own name, Jace Clayton

Opening Night Party for Nora Chipaumire’s "Portrait of Myself as My Father", with special thank to co-sponsor Montclair State University’s Native African Students Organization.

8:30pm, Alexander Kasser Theater lobby

____________________ 

More about Portrait of Myself as My Father, April 14th to 17th, Alexander Kasser Theater:

“Chipaumire has become a rock star of downtown dance…. [She] blows everything else out of the water.” – Dance Magazine

Fierce, charismatic choreographer Nora Chipaumire has been described by dance critic Deborah Jowitt as "thrilling… a powerful woman with a strong message." This blood-pumping world premiere event includes a live performance of a new work entitled Portrait of Myself as My Father and the debut of Chipaumire’s short film, Afro Promo #1: Kinglady. Together, they explore the pressures facing African men, Chipaumire’s own relationship with her father, and the creation of a black African man-woman superhero.

Learn more about Nora Chipaumire, and purchase tickets for the event.